Friday, January 7, 2011

Do Not Hide Your Worship

Today's Reading
2 Samuel Chp 6

I often say to myself that I am not gifted in evangelism and perhaps this is true or not true and perhaps God is either calling me or not calling me to grow in this area....yet what I say to myself about evangelism makes me think about my worship and what I clear God says about worship as it applies to me being a parent.

Here in 2 Samuel, one of David's wifes Michal, is apparently embarassed for the public nature of David's worship of the Lord:

 20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”
  
21 David said to Michal, “It was before the LORD, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the LORD’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the LORD. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”

23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death. (2 Samuel 6:20-23)

 Similarly, Moses gives the Israelites instructions that worship of the Lord is to be with all of our heart:

5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.(Deuteronomy 6:5-9)

My Prayer: Lord, your works in my life alone are great let alone those I have witnessed in the lives of others.  Thank you for helping me with patience as well as other areas in my life - you are great and it is only through You that this transformation occurs.  Help me proclaim and pronounce your love and greatness in a more public manner so that all the world may know and come to know you and accept you.  Help me overcome any shame of my love for you.  If I do have any shame, please forgive me of this and help with this.