Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

Matthew 16

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.” v23

Wow...is this a rebuke or what!  First, Peter attempts to rebuke Jesus in verse 22. This is quite bold and again it goes to our proper relationship with Jesus and that He is Lord and His will is pure, holy, and perfect - who are we to question his will!?  We should of course recognize Peter's side of the story in that we are human...and Jesus explicitly makes this point that Peter is focused on "human concerns".  

Key for me to understand is that Satan is very real and if biblical heroes like Peter have evil thoughts then I of course do...and in spades!  I must recognize this and also ask Jesus to invade my heart renew my mind as Paul indicates in Romans: 

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are pure, holy and perfect...blameless.  Yet You went to cross and died for me...for me!  Amazing.  I am not worthy of such a sacrifice.  I am full of anger, impatience, pride, harsh words and so much more...forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin.  Help me be the man You intend for me.