Wednesday, March 26, 2014

And Mary said....

Luke 1

And Mary said....v46

Both Elizabeth and Mary are filled with joy as they praise God for the blessing of babies in their womb.

Mary gleefully sings a song:

“My soul glorifies the Lord     
 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.” v47-55

For me this begs the question  - to what extent do I sing God's praises?  Thankfulness, praise and worship are all critical components to my relationship with Jesus.  In the sermon on the mount it is said "blessed are the poor in spirit" (Matthew 5:3).  Being poor in spirit indicates a need and a complete dependency on a gracious God who can provide for all our needs.  Because we have such a God in Jesus Christ - we must praise Him!

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You indeed a great God for reasons beyond my explanation.  You bless me beyond what I deserve and You provide for my every need.  Without You I am nothing!  You provide purpose for my life - for Your glory!  You know everything about me yet You love me anyway.  Thank You Jesus!  Please forgive me for my impatience, anger, sloth, etc.  Help me turn from such sin.  Help me be the man You intend for me.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.