Monday, September 22, 2014

“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day."

John 12

“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day."  v47-48

Head and heart understanding of God's Word is critical, yet action is equally critical - notice John's words of warning for those who do not "keep" God's Word.  Keeping of the Word is to not only understand what is being sent in terms of meaning in a general sense but also in a personal sense - what is God saying to You specifically in this moment of your life?  Keeping also implies scripture memorization as this as means to defend yourself against sin and evil influences...and of course as means of encouragement to yourself and others.  And, lest we not forget, application of God's Word is also critical - we must act according to God's Word.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.  James 1:22-25

My Prayer: Lord, You are pure, holy and blameless, and Your Word is perfect.  You are all I need as You provide everything I have and will ever need.  Your presence and provision is an amazing blessing...even more so given my sin.  I am selfish, angry, arrogant, impatient, critical, etc.  Thank You that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus.  Help me turn from such sin and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as myself.  Help me grow in my faith.