Monday, October 17, 2016

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding—indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

Proverbs 2

My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding—indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. v1-5

Key here in my view are verses 3-5 where Solomon encourages his son - wisely - to seek out insight and understanding and to look for it with great desire as if it is the most valuable of all treasures.  Solomon, in chapter 1, rightly points out that "...fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction" (verse 7).  

In John 1 it says:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made." John 1:1-3

God is not only the source of all knowledge and wisdom, He is the source of "all good and perfect things":


Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

Why would we not hunger after God with Him being so valuable?


Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6

My Prayer: Jesus, You are valuable beyond what words can describe.  You HAVE blessed me beyond what earthly riches can provide - thank You Jesus!  I AM blessed and I AM filled.  Yet I am not worth such love and blessing.  I worry, I stress, and I am filled with pride, rage, etc.  Please forgive me.  Help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do. Help me grow in my faith.  Give me strength.  Give Lisa strength. Please heal and cure her of her cancer and the side effects of chemo.  Help me lead and serve Lisa, Zach, and Dustin...and serve You.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.