Tuesday, July 3, 2018

For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone.

Lamentations 3

For no one is cast off by the Lord forever.  Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love.  For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone. v31-33

Given Jeremiah's relationship with God - his proximity to God and his resulting relationship - he is able to remain hopeful for himself and for the Jewish people.  Although Jeremiah is pained by the punishment experienced by the Jewish people, he knows it is not an indiscriminate anger - God did not lash out hastily.  It is a thoughtful, rational response that is part of a plan to bring the Jews back to Him.

We know that God sent His Son - this is God's plan.  Therefore, God uses this punishment as a means to an end, not as an end in itself. 

See John Piper provides this excellent brief commentary on these verses.

See also previous posts on punishment as training

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are that You provided Your Son to redeem my sins, to cover my sins and to give me and everyone the opportunity to have freedom from the sting of sin and death.  We simply need to accept You into our lives and to accept this gift of grace with You as our Savior.  Thank You Jesus for the greatest gift of all time. I am not worthy of such a gift. I worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.