Sunday, May 19, 2019

He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.

John 12

He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. v6

In this story (see also Matthew 26 and Mark 14), Mary pours expensive perfume "on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair" (v3).  Judas Iscariot objects, according to John, not based on his care for the poor but because he was a thief.  As "keeper of the money bag", Judas Iscariot's nearness and ease of access to money was too tempting for him to avoid embezzling funds from Jesus' ministry.  This is a warning for us that are blessed financially - to put in place controls so as to avoid growing comfortable with money and ultimately comfortable with spending it vs using it for God's glory.

Check out this post on DesiringGod.com that posits that Jesus put Judas Iscariot in control of the money bag to teach us what happens when we love money vs loving God.  Scary stuff.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what an awesome God You are - You have blessed me beyond what I deserve in all ways - and most importantly by adopting me as Your son.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving as I sin daily.  I worry, I am selfish, and I harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.