Friday, December 27, 2019

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.

1 John 2

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble.  But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them. v9-11

Hate is a powerful word and it implies hardness of heart, which impedes our ability to love - both God and others.  We certainly should not hate anyone nor should we hate other believers as the scripture today indicates. John refers to a "new command" not just in v8 here but also in John 13:34-35 (as told by Jesus):

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

These are the two most important commandments - to love God and to love others.

The Holy Spirit has helped rid me (mostly) of use of the word "hate" - as He has "luck".

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I know You love me and I know You desire for me to love others.  Thank You Jesus for loving me - knowing everything about me.  I am not deserving of such love.  I worry and I have other sin - falling short often of not loving others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.