Thursday, January 30, 2020

For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him.

Genesis 18-19

For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing what is right and just, so that the Lord will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him. Genesis 18:19

Day 7 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the back half of the story when angels who visit Abraham and Sarah and deliver once again the message of their coming child and as well the story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah (including Lot's escape).

As the angels visiting Abraham and Sarah leave, the Lord delivers this very convicting message about the role of fathers - Genesis 18:19. My day yesterday included the sin of rage of a father over his son - and I have asked both God and my son for forgiveness and both are full of grace.  My own dysfunction is echoed further in the story of Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction when in Genesis 19 a conflict ensues at Lot's house about men storming his door to have sex with the angels visiting him.  Lot seeks to spare the angels but strangely enough offers his own daughters as an alternative.  God...in all of His grace spares Lot and his daughters - but not Lot's wife who disobeys God strict command to not turn back - she is turned into a pillar of salt.  Lot and his daughters are spared but they don't focus on God's grace and instead turn to their own powers in an effort to extend their line. 

DesiringGod.com has this great post about family dysfunction and how God redeems it all.

I am grateful indeed how God uses it all and seek to turn to Him - I want to become more like Him every day.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are a great God who loves me and who uses all of my dysfunction and sin for Your glory...and You are so full of grace and mercy.  Thank You Jesus!  Please forgive me for my rage and help me overcome and turn from my impatience and rage towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.