Thursday, December 10, 2020

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will....To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some....Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.

Matthew 27, Mark 15, and Luke 23, John 18-19

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will....To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some....Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God—even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. Romans 12:2, 1 Corinthians 9:22, 10:32-33

Day 319 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning focusing on Jesus' trial before Pilate. My commentary* indicates "...the Sanhedrin has no power to execute condemned prisoners without approval of the Roman government. Yet clearly such a pagan government will not regard a charge of blasphemy with the same degree of seriousness as do the Jews. Therefore more appropriate charges will have to be laid before the governor. Being politically astute, the Jewish leaders will accuse Jesus of sedition in allegedly urging refusal to pay taxes and in claiming to be the King of the Jews." Although both Pilate and Herod Antipas, who also hears the case, find no charge deserving of execution, Pilate bows to the pressure from the Jewish leaders to crucify Jesus.

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

This morning's scripture reading highlights the weight of the decision felt by Pilate regarding the charges made by the Jewish leaders and the remedy they sought for Jesus' "offenses".  Pilate of course caves to the pressure. While we know this is the plan - that God sent Jesus to die on the cross - we can also use the passage to examine the pressure we feel in our own lives...often this pressure is to do what the world sees as better or more popular - we call this peer pressure sometimes and it is often associated with teenagers, yet as we get older we are no less immune to this pressure.  On the subject of peer pressure, some digging this morning revealed a thoughtful post by John Piper that explores the balance of the "indigenous principle and the pilgrim principle" (Andrew Walls, The Missionary Movement In Christian History). Scripture tell us to "not conform" (Romans 12:2), while at the same time we are to be "all things to all people" (1 Corinthians 9:22) and to "please everyone" (1 Corinthians 10:32-33) so that we may save some.  

This is a difficult balance for sure, but once again I go to one of my "go to" verses Romans 12:2 where it says "be transformed by the renewing of the mind...".  Piper goes here as well and encourages us to focus on our deepening relationship with Jesus and how we are to grow closer to Him to help us navigate this balance.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has transformed my heart and life - thank You Jesus!  I know I am more like You and others have seen this as well. I know I continue to fall down and there is more work to but I am grateful that You have given me faith and a desire for You.  I am not worthy for all that You do for me and that You went to the cross for me.  My sin is great and it continues.  Please forgive me for my harsh words and actions and impatience for others.  Help me overcome and turn from my sins towards You and help me love You and others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.