Monday, January 11, 2021

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy....And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good.

But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy....And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. Titus 3:4-5, 8

Day 351 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move further into the New Testament - this morning I read the Paul's first letter to Titus. My commentary* indicates: "Titus is apparently facing some of the same challenges as Timothy in his efforts to preserve doctrinal purity and to establish effective local congregations. Therefore, Paul’s letter to Titus bears a resemblance to his letter to Timothy in its emphasis on false teaching, church organization, and instruction in Christian living."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

The latter words of scripture from Titus remind me of a book I recently read by Tony Merida, Ordinary: How to Turn the World Upside Down. The book discusses that God's love should be understood as so "deep and wide" that we are both overwhelmed and compelled to love Him and others in return.  We so deeply care to serve Him and others that our lives become "living sacrifices" through daily acts of justice, love, hospitality, care, advocacy, and humility. It is through these daily acts that the world see in us something that is supernatural and people are drawn to Him. 

My hope and prayer is that I am and can demonstrate what Pastor Merida discusses in his book and what is clear from scripture.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loved me while I was still sinning, and loved me even before I even existed, knowing everything about me, including how I am broken.  Yet You love me and You died for me...thank You Jesus!  The greatest gift of all time...and completely undeserved.  My sin is great - worry, gossip, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.