Tuesday, March 16, 2021

His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him.

Chapter 1: Pages 31-39

His kingdom will be an everlasting kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey him. Daniel 7:27

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) and read chapter one, where Piper defines divine providence (as a noun) as "the act of of purposefully providing for, or sustaining and governing the world." Piper leans on the Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession, the Westminster Larger Catechism, the Westminster Confession of Faith, and Charles Spurgeon to more fully explore and land on an adequate definition, and Spurgeon specifically, to contrast providence from fate (which some may claim as meaningless).  Fate is described as blind but providence is not as according to Spurgeon "everything in this world is working for one great end." It is also "for the good of the chosen people of God" and for His glory.  "If anything would go wrong, God puts it right; and if there is anything that would awry, [H]e puts [H]is hand and alters it." 

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are indeed in control for both my good and Your glory - I am blessed that You have adopted me into Your family - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such goodness as my cup runeth over. My sin - worry and other sins - continues.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.