Thursday, August 26, 2021

He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him.

Leviticus 1

He shall lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him. Leviticus 1:4

This morning, I continued my study of Leviticus using the Christ-Centered Exposition series commentary for this book - continuing a review 1:1-7, looking at the theme Our Sin Requires Atonement. Here, the focus, as the theme states, is on atonement - my commentary indicates that Leviticus mentions "atonement" 53 times while "only 43 times elsewhere in the whole Old Testament.  Thus, Leviticus says more about atonement than any other book in the Old Testament." The word is defined as describing reconciliation with the "Hebrew word translated 'atonement' refers to the beginning of that process.  It denotes doing what is necessary for two parties to be reconciled.  In the case of our relationship with God, it refers to the taking away of sin."  The commentary gives Leviticus 17:11 as another scriptural basis to help us understand the role of shed blood with atonement, as shed blood "was the ransom payment for the death the worshiper's sin had earned." The laying of hands on the head of the burnt offering is described as transferring the sin and guilt of the worshiper to the animal sacrificed. The sacrificial system required by God is based on what the commentary describes as "a universal and unalterable truth-sin leads to death" as "laid down" by God since The Fall where just prior to the eating of the forbidden fruit God states that if you eat it, "you shall surely die (Genesis 2:17)." The commentary summarizes the sacrificial system by stating that:

  1. Sin leads to death
  2. God is perfectly holy - no sin is allowed in His presence
  3. Our sin must be taken away for us to worship God and to enjoy fellowship with Him

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has taken my place as a ransom for my sin - thank You!  I am grateful as I know this is the greatest gift of all time and I am not deserving of such a gift.  My sin continues, and I know You are not done with my sanctification. Please forgive me for my worry and other sins.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.