Friday, February 4, 2022

Therefore my people go into exile for lack of knowledge; their honored men go hungry, and their multitude is parched with thirst.

Isaiah 5

Therefore my people go into exile for lack of knowledge; their honored men go hungry, and their multitude is parched with thirst. Isaiah 5:13

I continue my deep dive of Isaiah, based on the Precept Upon Precept study series.  On day 10 of my study, I wrap my look at Isaiah 3-5, focusing on Isaiah 5. Today, the takeaway comes from Isaiah 5:13 where God shares how His people "go into exile for lack of knowledge."  The lack of knowledge is knowledge of God - understanding of God's Word, which in turn creates an appreciation of who God is and what He has done for us, which in turn causes us to love and seek Him more. The Precepts study had us look at Hosea 4:1-6 as Hosea was a contemporary of Isaiah.  Hosea 4 does highlight God's disappointment of God in Israel's lack of knowledge: 

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. Hosea 4:6

It is of course important to be saved but it is also important for believers to grow in their relationship with the Lord and this is done through study of God's Word.  For many years, I attended and served in church regularly - without reading God's Word.  How sinful - I worshiped a God I barely knew!  I am grateful that God nonetheless drew my closer to Him since then. 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - thank You.  Thank You for welcoming me into Your arms despite How I for many years kept my distance from You.  I am not deserving of Your grace and compassion. I continue to sin - worry, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.