Friday, November 4, 2022

And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

Matthew 6

And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” Mark 9:23-24

This morning, my focus is DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which examines anxiety.  This is a matter that hits home for me as I have often struggled with anxiety and depression.  I am grateful to God for how He has worked in my heart and life to help me overcome much of this struggle.  In today's Solid Joys daily devotion, John Piper shares his view (backed by scripture) that "Jesus says that the root of anxiety is inadequate faith — 'little faith' — in our Father’s future grace."  Piper then goes on to look at how such a view is likely to been as very discouraging, particularly for those who are looking for the solution elsewhere - to the world specifically.  Poor health, and lack of financial resources are indeed not fun, but people (most importantly believers) should understand that better health and more money is not going to solve a problem with anxiety as it will "latch" on to others areas of our lives - this is what scripture refers to as futility of the mind (see John Piper on this).  We should focus on our faith instead, and if we struggle with our faith, we should pray and plead with God to help us with our faith.  Sometimes our faith is a struggle because we have not fully grasped the miracle of the gospel - that Christ died for our sins and rose again.  Piper urges us to see this in 1 Corinthians 15:

And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. 1 Corinthians 15:17 

From today's devotion, Piper also urges us to refer to Mark 9, where in v14-29 a father desperately wants his child to be healed and Jesus challenges the father to believe - to have faith.  The father then pleads with Jesus to help him with his unbelief (v24).  Piper wants us to understand how lack of faith causes anxiety and the antidote for anxiety is only Christ.   The world will try and tell you otherwise but speaking from experience, I can tell you that Christ alone is the answer.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - You give me belief and faith.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving because my sin continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.