Friday, February 10, 2023

We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

Hebrews 6

We have this as a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul, a hope that enters into the inner place behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone as a forerunner on our behalf, having become a high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek. Hebrews 6:19-20

I continue my study of Hebrews, assisted by the commentary Christ Centered Exposition: Exalting Jesus in Hebrews. My focus this morning is Hebrews 6:9-20, and my initial unaided observations of this text. The author of Hebrews pivots from an admonishment to grow in spiritual maturity and an ominous warning to those who don't, to hope and encouragement.  V9-12 expresses the author's hope that the Jewish believers focus on the hope that comes from loving and serving God, as this hope will carry them through the ups and downs of life, prevent them from being "sluggish" in their faith, and help them finish the race of faith.  In v13-20, the author then pivots to "the certainty of God's Promise."  This promise, first made to Abraham by God, who in Genesis 12:1-3, then again in 22:17-18, is that Abraham's descendants will be blessed and become a great nation.  The author of Hebrew's describes how the promise itself is made by God, including an oath to Himself, is something in which we can have faith because when God promises something we can be assured that it will be done.  In v18, readers are encouraged, because of how God is faithful, to "have strong encouragement to hold fast to the hope set before us.V19-20 then describe this hope and encouragement as "a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul[.]"  Thank You God for giving us this "anchor of the soul"!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Heavenly Father - what a great God You are, that You are faithful and You give me and my brothers and sisters in Christ and anchor of the soul!  I am not deserving of such a blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my faith towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.