Sunday, July 30, 2023

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.

James 1

Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. James 1:2-3

As I continue to be in between studies, having wrapped up my study looking at the life of Paul using John Piper's 30 Reasons Why I Love the Apostle Paul, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today looks at how suffering results in the sharpening of our faith.  Piper uses the analogy of working out to illustrate the role suffering plays in our lives.  "Faith is like muscle tissue: if you stress it to the limit, it gets stronger, not weaker. That’s what James means here. When your faith is threatened and tested and stretched to the breaking point, the result is greater capacity to endure."  Piper continues by pointing us to 2 Corinthians 1:8-9, where Paul and his companions were so overwhelmed with suffering where they completely surrendered to God, recognizing that even in death God would prevail and demonstrate how we should be utterly dependent on Him.  Piper writes that "[God's] aim is that we grow deeper and stronger in our confidence that he himself will be all we need."  Piper wraps today's devotion by pointing us to Psalm 73:25-26, where the Psalmist writes how he gains his strength from God, even when everything else in his life, including his health, fails.  Piper wants us to see how God works in our suffering.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are SO good - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of the blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me.  Help me turn from and overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.