Monday, November 27, 2023

I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.

Psalm 69

I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving. Psalm 69:30

Today I pause both my study of 1 Corinthians and my study that accompanies participation in a men's discipleship group (d-group) at my church.  Instead, I lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today - using Psalm 69:30 looks at what it how believers magnify God, and why it is important to do so.  John Piper starts the devotion by describing two kinds of magnification: one where we look through a microscope to see a bigger image of something that is actually very small, and two where we look through a telescope to see a bigger image of something that is actually much bigger.  Piper then moves to share that "[w]e are not called to be microscopes. We are called to be telescopes. Christians are not called to be con-men who magnify their product out of all proportion to reality, when they know the competitor’s product is far superior. There is nothing and nobody superior to God. And so the calling of those who love God is to make his greatness begin to look as great as it really is."  Piper then reminds us that magnification of God in this way - to make much of God and to bring Him glory is why we exist.  We are referred to 1 Peter 2:9 where Peter writes how believers are a "chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation...that you may proclaim the excellencies of him...."  Piper concludes by sharing that "[t]he whole duty of the Christian can be summed up in this: feel, think, and act in a way that will make God look as great as he really is. Be a telescope for the world of the infinite starry wealth of the glory of God."  We are also provided two texts - Ephesians 1:18 and Psalm 103:2 - by Piper as "our first task is to see and to remember the greatness and goodness of God."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God worthy of all glory and magnification!  You are SO good to me and to all of Your children.  I am not deserving of the love and blessings You pour out for me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.