Sunday, October 4, 2026

I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.

John 17:26

I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:26

Today, I pause my study of Paul's prison epistles - Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon - to listen to DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion - which today looks at how we can experience the same love of Jesus the Son that God the Father loves Jesus the Son - an incredible concept!  The highlighted text is a prayer from Jesus where He prays the love of the Father to the Son be in us.  In the devotion, Piper challenges us to "imagine being able to enjoy what is most enjoyable with unbounded energy and passion forever."  He then shares three obstacles to such an endeavor while at the same time, reminds us that these obstacles will fall away if the prayer is answered....and one expects that it would be given Jesus is aligned with the Father in desires, will, etc.  Based on the promise of this prayer, and how this promise will come true, we then see the connection to the title of the devotion - Joy Unbound.  If the same love from the Father to the Son is in us and Jesus is in us (via the Holy Spirit), then we experience and inexhaustible joy and pleasure in God.  Let that sink in - Jesus is our greatest treasure, He is more than enough to "meet the deepest longings of our hearts," we have more than enough "strength to savor" Jesus completely as our treasure, and given our salvation, we get to experience this treasure forever.  Incredible indeed!

Comment and discuss this post 

My Prayer: Father God, thank You praying that I experience the same love from the Father to the Son, for living in me, for my salvation, and for the mercies that never cease and that are new every morning.  I am not deserving of my salvation nor any of the blessings You pour out for me daily.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please continue to heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.