Friday, September 3, 2010

We Are to Show Others Our Wisdom and Understanding

Today's Reading
Deuteronomy Chp 4:3-8

Again, today I don't have to read far to get to a point where I hear God talking to me.

5 See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the LORD my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. 6Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." 7 What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him? 8 And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?

What is interesting here is that Moses exhorts the Israelites to observe God's decrees and laws carefully, THEN the result is that others will see the Israelites as a great nation with wise and understanding people.

My read with this is:

(1) We must study God's words....and study them to the point at which they are part of us...not something we refer to every once in a while to make sure we are on the straight and narrow. We must KNOW God's words if we are to live them. To KNOW them, we must go beyond basic familiarity...we must be INTIMATE with them and with God.

(2) We often struggle with how we can be seen as "set apart" or "a light" onto others. We don't have to wonder about how to do this. It is really quite simple. Study God's word, truly understand God's words, then LIVE God's words.

My Prayer: Lord, your wisdom is unequaled in the universe! I am so very thankful that I have you as my Lord and Savior, my father in heaven and my teacher here on earth. Forgive me for my lack of prayer and help me with this - I desperately need your help with this. Help my love and desire for you continue to grow.