Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Rest Is For Those Who Seek God Eagerly

2 Chronicles Chp 15

Here in Chronicles we find King Asa who has an encounter with the prophet Azariah.  God speaks to Azariah and says:

Listen to me, Asa and all Judah and Benjamin. The LORD is with you when you are with him. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will forsake you. 3 For a long time Israel was without the true God, without a priest to teach and without the law. 4 But in their distress they turned to the LORD, the God of Israel, and sought him, and he was found by them. 5 In those days it was not safe to travel about, for all the inhabitants of the lands were in great turmoil. 6 One nation was being crushed by another and one city by another, because God was troubling them with every kind of distress. 7 But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” (verses 2-7)

With this, Asa removed all of the idols and other vestiges of worship to other Gods, and sought the Lord.  All of Judah then turned to the Lord.

All Judah rejoiced about the oath because they had sworn it wholeheartedly. They sought God eagerly, and he was found by them. So the LORD gave them rest on every side. (verse 15)

Rest is something I yearn for...many days I feel stress or fatigue and this I use as a means to justify many things, including sin.

If I seek God eagerly, I know I will be found by Him and I will get rest on every side.

My Prayer: You are so great, and your power and might is so great that I yearn to love and follow you eagerly.  Forgive me when I sin as I know many times this comes from the fact that I don't seek you out and my rest remains elusive.  Help me gain rest in and through you.