Wednesday, September 18, 2013

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice. For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Matthew 9

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’  For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.” v13

Jesus' line about desiring mercy and not sacrifice really struck a chord with me today and I feel Jesus speaking to me on this.  I sense that Jesus wants us to have humility and a servant heart.  These are I believe core to other fruits of the spirit to be on display.  We are no better than anyone else and our sin is no less sinful than anyone else's sin.  If we remain humble we are better positioned to see others as Jesus sees them.

Of course there are other factors but I sense this is something Jesus wants me to more firmly grasp.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are indeed a great God, full of love, compassion, grace, patience, etc. for me.  I am clearly not worth this much love and blessing but You provide it anyway and then some.  Thank You that You love me despite my sin but please forgive me for arrogance, my harshness, my anger, and my lack of patience, among just a few of my sins.  Help me also be more like You Jesus.  Help me be and remain Your humble and faithful servant.