Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

John 6

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?” Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.” v28-29
The disciples question here is one that many people ask, including myself.
Jesus makes it easy with His response - believe.  Elsewhere in scripture there are other clues for what He desires in our relationship with Him:
‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”  Matthew 22:37-40
The above needs no further explanation.
 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature,who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. Hebrews 5:13-14
The above needs at least a bit more explanation - we must grow in our faith...for me I can lean on resources such as the following from James Bryan Smith and from an organization Renovare.
There is more work to do...help me Jesus.
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are that were willing and able to die in my place so that I could have forgiveness from my sins and eternal life in Heaven with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I am quick to anger and very impatient...I am not nice to my wife and I continue to worry.  Please forgive me for these sins and help me turn away from them and towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength...help me love others as myself and help me grow in my faith.