Wednesday, November 5, 2014

“Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep.

Acts 7

“Lord, do not hold this sin against them.” When he had said this, he fell asleep. v60.

As Stephen was being stoned to death by the Sanhedrin, he clung to Jesus to the end.  The way Luke writes this verse it is if these WERE his last words.  THIS is love...in the face of anger, hate, AND mortal physical harm, Stephen instead responds with love.

Two of the greatest commands have to do with love:

‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:37-40

Loving to this extent REQUIRES a renewing of the mind:

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

My Prayer: Lord, You are love...everything You do defines love...love of Your children...even though we sin and fall short of Your glory.  You love us and see us as perfect in Your eyes.  Amazing!  I am not worth such love and blessing.  I take Your name in vain, I am quick to anger, slow to listen, prideful, arrogant, selfish, etc.  Thank you that You love me anyway but please forgive me Jesus!  Help me turn from such sin and towards You instead.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.  Help me love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith and help me apply Your teachings in my life.  Help me love.