Wednesday, February 22, 2017

But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord.

Jonah 1

But Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. v3

Running away from the Lord is never a good idea - it's not like You can hide from God.


You, God, know my folly; my guilt is not hidden from you. Psalm 69:5
 
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:12-13
 
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open. Luke 8:17
 
Yet what Jonah does is far from uncommon.  We all have something we want to hide (at least from others) and there are times when we feel led to do something but at the same time resist God because we may feel that the task assigned to us by God is not something we want to do for whatever reason.
 
We may not feel equipped.  We may also feel that those to whom we are being sent do not deserve our time.  We may feel overqualified.  There are other reasons I am sure.  But we must obey God if for nothing else because He is sovereign and again it's not like He won't know we are disobeying Him and it's not like we're going to be able to stop Him from achieving His plan.
 
God will equip us...He loves us, He knows what is good for us and He has a plan.
 
So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Ephesians 4:11-13 
 
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8
 
My Prayer: Lord Jesus, what a great God You are!  I know You love me, You equip me, encourage me...and so much more.  You rescued me and continue to save me from the sting of sin and death.  Thank You Jesus - I am not worth such love and blessings.  I continue to worry...too much.  Please forgive me and help me overcome and turn from such sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal her of her cancer and from the side effects from chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, the church, and others. Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.