Tuesday, October 17, 2017

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

1 Samuel 16

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” v7

After the Lord rejects Saul as King, Samuel is sent to Bethlehem to anoint one of Jesse's son's as the new king.  The Lord guides Samuel to look not at outward appearances but inward to one's heart condition.

Jesus echoes a similar sentiment when he admonishes the Jewish leaders for focusing too much on the law vs one's heart:

Jesus said to them, “I did one miracle, and you are all amazed. Yet, because Moses gave you circumcision (though actually it did not come from Moses, but from the patriarchs), you circumcise a boy on the Sabbath. Now if a boy can be circumcised on the Sabbath so that the law of Moses may not be broken, why are you angry with me for healing a man’s whole body on the Sabbath? Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly.” John 7:21-24

As a parent, I must focus on Zach and Dustin's heart condition and too often I don't.  Thank You Jesus for prompting to me refocus on their hearts.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, full of love and compassion for me. You provide many, many second chances.  You provide for me. You heal me.  You forgive me...thank You for the many blessings You pour out for me.  Yet I am undeserving - I continue to worry.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom.  Heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.