Thursday, January 25, 2018

The couriers went out, spurred on by the king’s command, and the edict was issued in the citadel of Susa. The king and Haman sat down to drink, but the city of Susa was bewildered.

Esther 3

The couriers went out, spurred on by the king’s command, and the edict was issued in the citadel of Susa. The king and Haman sat down to drink, but the city of Susa was bewildered. v15

This bible overview commentary indicates that Xerxes (also referred to as Ahasuerus) is someone perceived as weak - easily manipulated one can say.  Haman manipulates the king into issuing an edict that the Jews be killed - this chapter chronicles the background for this edict and the king's erratic (MacArthur indicates that even the people of Susa expressed bewilderment in the king's edict - perhaps as having no basis or cause) and weak behavior.  This stands in direct contrast to that of Mordecai who is seen as strong and principled - he would not kneel for Haman. MacArthur questions whether Mordecai's faith motivated him not to kneel, but over time it is evident that both Mordecai and Esther would emerge as strong and principled in their faith - courageous as well.

For us, we should understand that life is turbulent - see also John 16:33.  But we have Jesus as our rock and our faith in Him should rest on His firm foundation.  With Him we can remain strong.

I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just. A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he. Deuteronomy 32:3-4
 
"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
  But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.” Matthew 7:24-27

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God whose love is greater than I will ever comprehend and imagine - You are certainly slow to anger and abounding in love.  You are my strength and my rock.  Thank You Jesus for how You helped me through dark valleys - I am grateful!  Yet I am not worth such love.  I worry far too much.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome such sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin. Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.