Sunday, January 21, 2018

Uzziel son of Harhaiah, one of the goldsmiths, repaired the next section; and Hananiah, one of the perfume-makers, made repairs next to that.

Nehemiah 3

Uzziel son of Harhaiah, one of the goldsmiths, repaired the next section; and Hananiah, one of the perfume-makers, made repairs next to that. v8

Of particular note here is how broadly all those in Jerusalem participated in the rebuilding of the city walls and gates.  Matthew Henry remarks as much.  No job is beneath anyone and Henry notes there is "no strife" among those at work.  Many whose profession did not include building pitched in - as noted here in verse 8 this included both goldsmiths and perfume makers.

We are all called to serve both personally and corporately - as a church.  When we come together as a church it is remarkable how God uses these occasions for others to see God at work.

At my previous church, we served corporately through Southbridge Serves and my current church always does a Christmas concert at a local shopping venue.

We must humble ourselves - serve in any capacity God needs - and allow God to work through us personally and corporately.

" Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:26-28

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God - able to do amazing things through me and through the church.  Thank You for providing us with a church home that supports our relationship with You - this is a gift from You.  I am not worth such love and such a gift.  I worry - among my many sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You do.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.