Wednesday, August 21, 2019

On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor.

1 Corinthians 12

On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. v22-23

This chapter focuses on spiritual gifts and this morning I think about Dustin and his purpose and his gifts - I believe purpose and gifts are connected in that our purpose is to use (steward) the gifts God has distributed to us to serve one another - inside and outside the church.  See also John Piper on What is a Spiritual Gift - using 1 Peter 4:10 as a means to help us better understand this topic.  I also believe that people do not necessarily have to exercise any effort to use their gifts as these gifts are part of their unique design by God.  Dustin serves me in many ways by helping me become more patient, more compassionate, etc. I am blessed beyond imagination by such a gift - who does not want to become more patient and compassionate.  "[T]hose parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable"...indeed.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has blessed me with others such as Dustin who serve me with THEIR spiritual gifts - thank You Jesus!  I am blessed beyond imagination and beyond what I deserve.  I am selfish as I often fail to use my gifts or don't want to use my gifts out of selfishness, etc. Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You. Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.