Friday, August 16, 2019

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

1 Corinthians 9

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.  I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. v21-23

In chapters 4-10 Paul moves on to practical matters about living, including "dealing with the church’s lack of judgment on sex and legal disputes, marriage, divorce, and virginity, then on to eating meat used for idol worship".  In chapter 9, however we see a nugget of scripture that we can use as a basis for sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.

John Piper helps us better understand how we are to become all things to all men to save some:

"In freedom, for love's sake, you try to overcome unnecessary, alienating differences that cut you off from unbelievers. In freedom, for love's sake, you learn the Maninka language and translate the Bible. In freedom, for love's sake, you eat dinner together the way they eat dinner. In freedom, for love's sake, you dress pretty much like the middle class American natives. In freedom, for love's sake, you get into their politics and their sports and their businesses.

And all the while you keep a vigilant watch over your heart to see if you are in the law of Christ."

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who became a man and died as a man so that I could have freedom from sin and eternal life - thank You Jesus!  You are an awesome God!  I am undeserving of such love and such a gift.  I sin..greatly...and all the time.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.