Tuesday, March 17, 2020

“‘But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or foreigner, blasphemes the Lord and must be cut off from the people of Israel. Because they have despised the Lord’s word and broken his commands, they must surely be cut off; their guilt remains on them.’”

Leviticus 3-7,15,17

“‘But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or foreigner, blasphemes the Lord and must be cut off from the people of Israel. Because they have despised the Lord’s word and broken his commands, they must surely be cut off; their guilt remains on them.’” Leviticus 15:30-31

Day 51 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on fellowship offerings (required and freewill) and unintentional vs intentional sin, the latter of which is related to sins of omission vs commission.

Of course we must start with the fact that, as I emphasized yesterday, we all sin, the wages of sin is death, and we all need a Savior.  Elsewhere in scripture, we find several examples of how our heart condition (vs explicit actions) or even just thoughts are sinful.

The Ten Commandments indicate that we are not to covet our neighbors house or anything that belongs to him - these are thoughts, regardless of whether we act on them.

Proverbs 26:25 highlights how deceptive our speaking can be - "Though their speech is charming, do not believe them, for seven abominations fill their hearts".

1 John 3:15 talks about murder in our heart: "Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him."

Matthew 5:21:28 says "[b]ut I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart". 

John Piper also has an excellent post on how "willful" sinning causes one to lose his/her salvation.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has forgiven my sins and help me gain victory of sin and death!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  I sin...daily.  Please forgive m Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself strength and wisdom.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.