Tuesday, March 10, 2020

You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

Deuteronomy 5-8

You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.  Deuteronomy 8:17-18

Day 45 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on a second address Moses gives to the Israelites in preparation for their settlement into the Promised Land.  Moses and the Israelites know that Moses will not be entering the Land and that he will be dying soon.  Although not as much as God does, Moses loves the Israelites deeply - he gave up a royal position to intercede and fight for them (Exodus 2).

In this second address to the Israelites there are important takeaways for us all:
- Ten Commandments (originally laid out in Exodus 20 but restated in Deuteronomy 5)
- "Walk in obedience to all that the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess". Deuteronomy 5:33
"These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates". Deuteronomy 6:6-9
- Avoid idol worship and seduction of the world
- Remember what the Lord has done for you 
- "You may say to yourselves, “These nations are stronger than we are. How can we drive them out?” But do not be afraid of them; remember well what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt. You saw with your own eyes the great trials, the signs and wonders, the mighty hand and outstretched arm, with which the Lord your God brought you out. The Lord your God will do the same to all the peoples you now fear". Deuteronomy 7:17-19
- Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the Lord your God disciplines you.  Deuteronomy 8:5
- You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.  Deuteronomy 8:17-18

On this last verse, arrogance is important to recognize and on this note, I've been taught important and humbling lessons by God...and I am a WIP in this area.  Please help me God.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has provided me with all things including the air I breathe, the food I eat, and the shelter where I lay my head at night - this and so much more.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not worthy of such blessings because my arrogance continues and this causes me to be harsh with others because I believe I am more important than others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.