Wednesday, April 22, 2020

“You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.”

1 Samuel 8-12

“You have done a foolish thing,” Samuel said. “You have not kept the command the Lord your God gave you; if you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure; the Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler of his people, because you have not kept the Lord’s command.” 1 Samuel 13:13-14

Day 86 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) focuses on the beginning of Saul's downfall, which strangely enough is not soon after Saul's anointing.  Unfortunately, Saul fails to heed Samuel's instructions (see 1 Samuel 10:8) and Saul takes things into his own hands - 1 Samuel 13:11-4 chronicles the transgression and Samuel's rebuke of Saul.

When we don't see things unfold the way we expect, we are tempted to take things into our own hands - this of course becomes dangerous when we explicitly disregard God in the process as Saul does here. Abraham and Sarah could not wait - and also took matters into their own hands - see John Piper on how Abraham and Sarah lacked faith in what God can accomplish vs what is humanly impossible.  He uses Romans 9:6-9 as an example of how God accomplishes what only He can do.

Waiting can be difficult - DesiringGod.com provides another useful post on this topic here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has done what only what You can do - on the cross and in my life.  Thank You for the many blessings that You pour out on me.  I am not deserving.  I continue to sin...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome my sin and turn towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.