Saturday, May 23, 2020

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing”....Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure.

Psalm 8, 9, 16, 19, 21, and 24 

I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing”....Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. Psalm 16:2, 5

Day 117 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues my focus on 112 of David's psalms which my study has not already covered or will not cover through other daily devotions as part of a broader study within their historical context. This study of these 112 psalms groups the psalms into five major topical areas, and I start a new group today: "Psalms of Joy and Praise".

Today's psalms focus on praise for man's glory and status in God's sight, praise for God's judgement against the wicked nations, praise for joy and security of the righteous, praise for God's creation and for His laws, praise for the king's blessings and reminder of God's wrath, and recognition that the earth belongs to the King of glory.

Praise is a critical aspect of our prayer life - I have often heard and like to use the A.C.T.S. acrostic for prayer - Adoration, Confession, Thanks, and Supplication.  R.C. Sproul encourages us to follow this method and start with praise and "[he has] noticed over many years that as we grow in the discipline and in the delight of prayer, it seems that we naturally spend more and more of our time on this first element".  He has also noticed that other approaches, such as S.C.A.T., fail to give due time and effort to adoration, confession, and thanksgiving.

On a related note, John Piper tells us that, using the acrostic A.P.T.A.T., praise should be our starting point as part of "practical steps to walk in God’s power whenever you open your Bible".

My Prayer: Without a doubt, You are an awesome God who loves me and who provides for all of my needs and seals me for eternity - thank You Jesus!  You are an incredible God - yet I am not deserving of such blessings.  I am full of pride - please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Thank You Jesus for Your grace and compassion but I need Your forgiveness daily!  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.