Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Now let them put away from me their prostitution and the funeral offerings for their kings, and I will live among them forever.

Ezekiel 40-43

Now let them put away from me their prostitution and the funeral offerings for their kings, and I will live among them forever. Ezekiel 43:9  

Day 248 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I come back to Ezekiel where my commentary* indicates: "[i]t has been some 12 years since any recorded word of the Lord has come to Ezekiel.  Ezekiel's vision from God includes restoration and hope, as well as a "rebuilding of [the] now-ruined temple".  The temple and its rituals as seen in Ezekiel's vision are described as far different than the temple and observances prior to the destruction.  "As he was at the beginning of his ministry, Ezekiel is once again taken by the hand of the Lord to the land of Israel. There he is shown symbolically the new temple to come, its worship rituals, its celebrations, its servants and priests, its laws, and the division of the land surrounding it."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®). Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

The rebuilt temple and God's instructions for rituals and observances are described in detail - yet RC Sproul describes Ezekiel's vision for the temple as more symbolic of restoration - meant to communicate with the "disheartened" in exile.  Sproul writes "[u]nder the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Ezekiel describes the glory of the restoration in terms familiar to his original audience. God was speaking a language the exiles could understand in order to convince them of His good intentions."

We may feel disheartened but we DO have a God who lives among us - forever.  His name is Jesus Christ!

All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”). Matthew 1:22-23

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an incredible God who lives IN me and among my family and friends - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a God.  My sin continues - including gossip, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.