Thursday, September 3, 2020

The Lord, the God of their ancestors, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place. But they mocked God’s messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the Lord was aroused against his people and there was no remedy.

2 Kings 24, 2 Chronicles 36, Jeremiah 22, and Daniel 1, Jeremiah 37, 52

 The Lord, the God of their ancestors, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place. But they mocked God’s messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the Lord was aroused against his people and there was no remedy. 2 Chronicles 36:15-16

Day 220 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as my commentary* describes "The Great Deportation", indicating that "[t]here have been many deportations [to Babylonia] already, and more will follow, but this is to be by far the greatest deportation of them all".

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

After Jehoiakim's death (see post yesterday), his son Jehoiachin succeeds him as king (2 Kings 24, 2 Chronicles 36) and scripture tells us that "he did evil in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father had done".  Jeremiah prophecies that Jehoiachin will be taken captive and "[Nebuchadnezzar] carried all Jerusalem into exile: all the officers and fighting men, and all the skilled workers and artisans—a total of ten thousand. Only the poorest people of the land were left (2 Kings 24:14)." Jehoiachin’s uncle Mattaniah (renamed as Zedekiah) is installed as a puppet king over Judah and he also "did evil in the eyes of the Lord". 

God's patience is not unlimited - yes, He is full of mercy and grace, but we must all act with urgency because we do not the day or hour when Jesus will return or when we will be called Home to Heaven - we must act with urgency (1) for our own salvation, (2) to snatch others from the fire, (3) and to love God and others, etc.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and mercy for me and You gave me the greatest gift of all - salvation.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such a gift.  I often fail to share the Good News of Christ, fail to love You with all of my heart, soul and mind and fail to love others.  Please forgive me Jesus!  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind, and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.