Monday, October 12, 2020

I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever.

Psalm 44, 74, 79, 8, 85, 89

I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us victory over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. Psalm 44:6-8

Day 261 of my chronological study of the Bible with The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) (available by purchase through Amazon - author F. LaGard Smith) continues as I move to a study of the Psalms about those my commentary indicates as those in exile who "[l]ike Job...have fallen from prosperity into shame".  As they face "ridicule and even death[,] [t]heir prayers in the midst of captivity and exile reveal a people reflecting seriously upon their predicament and the sins which brought it about. Confession is a central theme, and hope for deliverance is their prayer. The...ten psalms [six from today's reading] expose the agonizing loneliness of not only these captives but anyone who has ever awakened to the harsh realization that he or she is in spiritual exile."

*Smith, F. LaGard. The Daily Bible® - In Chronological Order (NIV®) . Harvest House Publishers. Kindle Edition. 

Psalm 44, in particular, focuses on a heart of gratitude with regards to humility and acknowledging where our victories come from and the source of our strength. 

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are my strength and it is only through You that I have experienced victory.  You are my defender and my refuge...my All in All. Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of Your love nor am I deserving of being adopted into Your family.  My sin is daily - gossip, worry, harsh words and actions, etc.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.