Tuesday, February 16, 2021

But the thing David had done displeased the Lord.

2 Samuel 11

But the thing David had done displeased the Lord. 2 Samuel 11:27

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I continue with the story of "David: Giant Problems and Colossal Collapses*".

*Title of lesson five from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day four starts with Max Lucado drawing an analogy of being in high altitudes for how we often rise to wealth, power, status, etc. and we lose sight of how we got there.  We also lose sight of others and their needs and who they are - we only see them as below us and perhaps we like such a perspective - it might feed our ego.  When we fail to recognize our proper position (we exist to glorify God and not for ourselves), Satan notices this and we very prone to temptation.  David falls prey to lust and then covers up his sin with more sin.  Yet, while few know of David's sin, God knows and nothing is hidden.  

Lucado provides us with a number of verses to help us with temptation:

  • ...[D]o not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:27
  • “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41
  • Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6:11
  • Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18
  •  When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. James 1:13-14
  •  Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
  • You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 4:4  

As a means to fight temptation, Lucado wants us to acknowledge our Maker, without whom we would be and have nothing.  As well, we must recognize our sinful nature and brokenness. Our humility should drive us into His arms and a daily, lifelong, personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God, You created me, You sustain me and You came to save me - suffering and dying on the cross for me.  I am in awe that You would do all this for me - knowing everything about me, including my sin, which by the way continues.  I am not deserving of such blessings - not by a long shot.  I am often harsh with my words and actions.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.