Thursday, February 18, 2021

When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Matthew 1-2 and Luke 1-2

When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus. Matthew 1:24-25

I continue with my study of - Ten Men of the Bible: How God Used Imperfect People to Change the World - eBook by Max Lucado (for purchase). This morning, I start the story of "Joseph: Shaky Limbs and Unanswered Questions*".

*Title of lesson six from the Max Lucado study.

The commentary* of day one starts with Max Lucado speculating how the angel Gabriel might have felt when he learned of the task to deliver a message to Mary that she would be the mother of Jesus.  Lucado then pivots to how her fiance Joseph must have felt. Scripture tell us that when Joseph learned of Mary's pregnancy, he quietly thought of divorcing her (Matthew 1:19), but an angel also appeared to Joseph to deliver a similar message to the one delivered to Mary.  As so many Biblical heroes have done, Joseph then "did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him" (Matthew 1:24) and he took Mary home as his wife and named the coming baby Jesus.  Lucado highlights Joseph's ordinary, stable and comfortable life and how God uses regular and ordinary people - He calls them out of their comfort zones and we are encouraged to do so as well.  I am reminded that God calls us to grow in our relationship with Him - it is to be an evolving relationship where we grow closer to Him and more like Him.

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and how has both given me faith and helped grow in my faith and blessed me throughout my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving for how You have equipped me and blessed me over these many years.  I am often harsh with others.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith. Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and sposues to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.