Sunday, April 25, 2021

And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Chapter 41: Pages 586-595

And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws. Ezekiel 36:27

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 8 "Providence Over Christian Living" - moving to chapter forty-one "Blood-Bought Zeal for Good Works".

Here, in my view, perhaps through repetition or time to digest, among the chapters so far where he describes how God has providence over Christian living, Piper writes how through Christ's death on the cross, "the wholehearted pursuit of holiness" is not just promised, but also purchased.  In other words, here Piper describes the "effectiveness of the death of Christ in securing for us the life change demanded from us.Jeremiah 31:31-34 is used to show how forgiveness of sins is the foundation for the heart change necessary for obedience.  Similarly, Ezekiel 11:19-21, 36:27 express the same process of how God causes sanctification and the resulting obedience.  We are then encouraged to look also at Colossians 1:21-22 and Philippians 1:9-10 to see how we are reconciled to God so that we can achieve our pursuit of holiness. Moreover, this pursuit of holiness is described by Piper as a progressive, imperfect blamelessness in Philippians 2:14-15 - it does not happen in a "big-bang" on our final day.  It's not just Paul who writes about how God equips us for holiness and obedience, but Peter and the author of Hebrews as well.  Piper provides 1 Peter 2:24-25 as an example of how we are ransomed from "futile ways" to live "to righteousness" and Hebrews 9:13-14 of how "dead works" are cleared away for us to pursue "a life of service to the living God."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an amazing God who has circumcised my heart, gave me a new heart, wrote Your laws on my heart and mind and caused me to pursue holiness - thank You Jesus!  I am blessed...but not deserving. I continue to sin.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.