Sunday, April 18, 2021

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.

 Chapter 34: Pages 482-490 

 The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:14

This morning, I continued John Piper's book Providence (purchased from Amazon Kindle Store) with Part 3 "The Nature and Extent of Providence", moving to Section 7 "Providence Over Conversion" - moving to chapter thirty-four "Our Condition Before Conversion".

Here Piper turns to how "God is uniquely at work in the lives of his people in a way that he is not in the lives of others.  In the case of true Christians, God's providence is an inexorably saving providence." He explores whether "God or man [is] the final and decisive cause of...conversion[.]" 

To explore this question, Piper starts "in the middle" as it is less theoretical. He states that it is less important for believers to rely on the memories of our conversion, but critical to learn from scripture what happened.  He writes "[i]n fact, many people must unlearn aspects of what they think happened, when they finally see in Scripture what truly happened in their conversion."

We are encouraged to recognized the gravity of our situation and to not see our conversion as boring, particularly in light of our dreadful spiritual condition prior to conversion. Piper points to several scriptural examples of our pre-conversion spiritual condition:  

He then points to 1 Corinthians 2:14 to show how unbelievers and those in whom the Holy Spirit does not dwell are not able to "taste the glory of Christ."  Piper writes that the same thing is said in Romans 8:6-8.

Piper sums it up: "[t]he Spirit of God must move into our lives....[as] the door into light is locked."

Comment and discuss this post here.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus - thank You for unlocking the door to the Light!  I am grateful - immeasurably so. Yet I am also undeserving - I know I sin...every single day.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.