Thursday, March 23, 2023

And you his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, though you knew all this, but you have lifted up yourself against the Lord of heaven. And the vessels of his house have been brought in before you, and you and your lords, your wives, and your concubines have drunk wine from them. And you have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood, and stone, which do not see or hear or know, but the God in whose hand is your breath, and whose are all your ways, you have not honored.

Daniel 5

 And you his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, though you knew all this, but you have lifted up yourself against the Lord of heaven. And the vessels of his house have been brought in before you, and you and your lords, your wives, and your concubines have drunk wine from them. And you have praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood, and stone, which do not see or hear or know, but the God in whose hand is your breath, and whose are all your ways, you have not honored. Daniel 5:22-23

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 5 and my unaided observations of this chapter. Here, the text shares how King Belshazzar, son of Nebuchadnezzar, assumes the throne in Babylon, and during a feast for a thousand, Belshazzar leads the attendees to praise idols (v2-4).  Then, fingers and a hand appeared to write a message on the wall of the palace, which Belshazzar actively saw as the message was written.  The king brought wise men to interpret the message but none could (v5-9).  The queen brings in Daniel, and Daniel interprets the message - first humbly denying gifts offered to him, then admonishing Belshazzar for his lack of humility (unlike his father who ultimately did acknowledge the One True God and how He reigns) (v17-28).  In v30, we see Belshazzar killed the same night Daniel interpreted the dream.  V22-23 concisely summarize a key application for us all - to remain humble and acknowledge that God reigns, provides for all and every aspect of our lives are in His hands.  We must go to Him and seek Him for forgiveness and salvation.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord, You are good - and all of my life is in Your Hands - thank You for Your amazing grace and how You saved me and provide for all of my needs.  I am not deserving.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo. Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.