Sunday, March 26, 2023

He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously.

Daniel 6

He got down on his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously. Daniel 6:10b

I continue my pause of my study of Hebrews to study Daniel in conjunction with a disciple/small group study with my church's men's wake up call. This morning my focus is Daniel 6:1-18 as I lean on a commentary for its observations of this text. The commentary highlights two divisions that lead up to v18:

  • Honor God and Let Him Exalt You (6:1-4). Daniel, like Joseph in the book of Genesis, honors God regardless of his exile status in Babylon.  He first did it under King Nebuchadnezzar, and now he does it under Darius' rule.  God gave Daniel gifts and Daniel used them for God's glory, regardless of the circumstances.
  • Be True to God Even When It May Cost You (6:5-15). Daniel has already proven himself faithful to God, including where he chose to refuse defiled food in Daniel 1. In chapter 6, we see how even though a law is made to force worship of only Darius, Daniel refuses and continues to worship God.  The commentary writes: "His daily communion with God had so shaped his character that he was ready no matter what."  It also shares how scripture warns of us earthly challenges, referring us to John 16:33 and 1 Peter 4:12-14. We MUST worship and build our relationship with God through constant practice of our spiritual disciplines because that is how we prepare ourselves for the inevitable challenges.  The commentary shares: "Christian character is not forged in the moment of adversity. Christian character is revealed in the moment of adversity."  Emphasizing how Daniel was prepared, the commentary states: "[h]e had honored God in this manner all of his life in Babylon, and he would not stop now—not for a month, not for a moment."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord You are good and You provided brothers and sisters in Christ who came alongside me and discipled me with my journey with You.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of how You bless me.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me. Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and otehrs.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.