Wednesday, April 26, 2023

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Hebrews 11

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 10:35-36

I continue my study of Hebrews, and this morning my focus is Hebrews 11:1-11, and my unaided observations of the text. This text builds on chapter 10 where in the closing verses, the author urges believers to endure and persevere in the faith - trusting in God that ultimately we have a "better possession" (10:34) and that God is faithful to help us endure and persevere.  In chapter 11, the author further builds on a definition of faith and provides examples from the Old Testament of those who meet the criteria of faith.  Criteria of faith include both an assurance of things hoped for (v1), and a conviction of things not seen (v2).  Examples of those from the Old Testament who met this criteria include (Abel - v4), Enoch (v5), Noah (v7), Abraham (v8-10), and Sarah (v11).  Sandwiched in the middle is v6 which urges us to have faith because without it, we cannot please God.  Of course we must remember that the sole reason we exist is to please and glorify Him

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Jesus, You are SO good and faithful and I can have faith because You provide it for me and give me the Holy Spirit, Your Word, my brothers and sisters in Christ to encourage me, etc.  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of my salvation nor the blessings of how I am supported in my faith.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.