Saturday, June 17, 2023

But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.

Isaiah 66

But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word. Isaiah 66:2

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at - once again as it did yesterday on a broader perspective - what kinds of prayer pleases God.  John Piper first looks at what kind of prayer does NOT please God, and he points us to Isaiah 66:3-4.  Here Piper emphasizes God's word where He says in reference to the Israelites that disappointed Him: "when I called, no one answered, when I spoke, they did not listen; but they did what was evil in my eyes and chose that in which I did not delight." These words reveal an arrogant posture towards God - when God calls and we don't answer - this reflects a heart where one feels that they don't need God or that they can hide from God.  Either way, such an attitude is fool hearty as we all need a Savior and God sees everything.  In contrast, we see in verse 2 an attitude of humility, where God describes the prayer that pleases Him.  It comes from those whose heart is humble and contrite - and who tremble at God's word, showing God the respect He deserves as the One True God. Piper also points us to Psalm 51:17 where David is explicit in answering this morning's question:

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. Psalm 51:17

Remain humble! 

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me. I know all comes from You and You are faithful, providing for all needs.  I am not deserving of how You save and how You provide - Your grace is amazing.  Thank You Jesus!  Please help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.