Friday, June 16, 2023

So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him.

2 Corinthians 5

So whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to please him. 2 Corinthians 5:9

I continue to lean on DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotion, which today looks at how we please God.  John Piper's starting point for this question is an examination of the "character of God revealed in scripture."  Luke 16:14-15 is provided as an example of what does not please God as Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for their love of money, status and position - love of the world. At the end of the devotion, Piper provides Psalm 147:11 as the psalmist (likely David) writes the "Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love."  To help us better understand God's character - Piper gives us two contrasting analogies - one a watering trough and the other a mountain spring - as he shares "[i]f you want to glorify the worth of a watering trough, you work hard to keep it full and useful. But if you want to glorify the worth of a spring, you do it by getting down on your hands and knees and drinking to your heart’s satisfaction, until you have the refreshment and strength to go back down in the valley and tell the people what you’ve found." Piper extends the analogy of the mountain spring as he ends the devotion by sharing "God is the kind of God who will be pleased with the one thing I have to offer: my thirst. That’s why the sovereign freedom and self-sufficiency of God are so precious to me: they are the foundation of my hope that God is delighted not by the resourcefulness of bucket brigades, but by the bending down of broken sinners to drink at the fountain of grace."  The devotion ends with Piper exhorting us to seek to please God based on a right view of Him as revealed in scripture - seek Him daily!

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion, and abounding in love...for those who seek Him.  Thank You Jesus for Your grace, compassion and love for me.  I am not deserving of such blessings and gifts.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.