Tuesday, September 19, 2023

But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.

1 Corinthians 5

But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 1 Corinthians 5:11

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 5:1-6.  The main idea provided by the commentary*: "Christians must lovingly confront sin through church discipline to preserve the church’s holiness and to rescue the sinner’s soul." The introduction* sets the stage for this main point by sharing how church discipline is necessary for the health of the church but at the same time "no aspect of church life in our day is more neglected than this one. And it is a dangerous neglect."  The commentary* then outline four divisions for the text:

  1. Neglecting Church Discipline Invites the Ridicule of the World (5:1): Here Paul warns against the sexually immoral sin of incest - condemned not just here by Paul but also in the Old Testament (Leviticus 18:8, Deuteronomy 22:30, 27:20). Even Roman culture refused to tolerate such sin and even mocked churches such as Corinth that tolerated such sin. The parallels to contemporary times are clear as the commentary* describes how churches appear open-minded and tolerant for "a season" but are ultimately "lampooned and scorned" as the gospel loses its power and the church is ignored altogether.  The commentary* warns us that we should not appear like the world because if so, people will not see a need for something they can get from the world (foolishly believing).     
  2. Pride Instead of Sorrow Leads Us to Ignore Church Discipline (5:2): Paul warns the church in Corinth over its pride and admonishes it to instead be mournful over sin (see also Ezra 9).
  3. Church Discipline Must Be Exercised Under the Lordship of Jesus Christ for the Good of the Whole Body (5:3-5): The commentary* unpacks the steps that are to be taken for excommunication: (a) assemble "in the name of the Lord Jesus, (b) remove and deliver to Satan the offender, (c) seek God's providence over Satan to use Satan as a purifying source in hope to restore the offender to the body of Christ following true repentance.  The commentary describes this as: "Jesus is Satan’s ruler. And he uses Satan, our archenemy, to save and sanctify his people. He brought Job to penitence and prosperity. He brought Paul to the point where he could exult in tribulation and make the power of Christ manifest. And Paul hopes that the result of handing over this man to Satan will be the salvation of his spirit at the day of Christ."
  4. The Absence of Church Discipline Will Lead to the Church Being Infected with Sin (5:6): Paul warns about the broader impact of sin spreading from one in the body to others.  

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who has provided others that model Christ, sharpen me, and help me avoid sinful influences - thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus.  Help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa from her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.