Thursday, September 28, 2023

So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God.

1 Corinthians 7

So, brothers, in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God. 1 Corinthians 7:24

I continue my study of 1 Corinthians.  I am assisted in my study by the Christ-Centered Exposition Series commentary for this book.  Today my focus is a review - aided by the commentary - of 1 Corinthians 7:17-24. The main idea from the commentary*: "[o]bedience to God matters more than one’s social condition." The introduction emphasizes how we (believers) are not to feel anxious about our social status or condition as God only cares where You love Him and are obedient to Him.  It* states: "Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7 that we are not to worry whether we are married, single, divorced, or widowed. We should not concern ourselves about ethnic or social distinctions and status. Rather, each should find contentment in his or her identity in Christ and station in life, whatever it is. After all, it is our Lord who put us where we are."  The commentary then unpacks the text in three divisions:

  1. Be Content in Your Assignment from the Lord (7:17): Paul moves from discussing sex, marriage, singleness and other sin - all of which cause anxiety - to more basic teaching on how God uses us regardless of our social standing or circumstances - He knows where we are and meets us there to take the gifts He has given us and use them for His glory.  We should rest and have peace about this.  Paul emphasizes that the text for today is not just for Corinth but for all churches (v17).
  2. Be Content in Your Conditions in the Lord (7:18-22): Paul then illustrates is point in v17 by looking at two of the more prominent distinctions in life at the time he wrote this letter to the church in Corinth: (1) circumcised or not (religious status), (2) bondservant or not (economic status). These distinctions are irrelevant - only obedience to God matters (v19).
  3. Be Content in Your Relationship with the Lord (7:23-24): Here the commentary* encourages those who are anxious of how others may feel about your social or economic standing to find comfort and confidence in Christ - looking more closely at v23 where we should not be enslaved to others' opinions: "One’s social status according to human standards now means nothing! As a new creation in Christ, then, don’t be enslaved to shame or pride. Don’t be enslaved to the opinions of others because they don’t matter. Christ is Lord, and he says we belong to him. That is what counts! Find your identity, value, and worth in Jesus." We are referred to Philippians 4:11-13.

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You give me peace in a world full of anxiety!  Thank You Jesus!  I am not deserving of such love and blessing.  I am undeserving of such love and blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.

*Akin, Dr. Daniel L.; Merritt, James. Exalting Jesus in 1 Corinthians (Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary). B&H Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.