Monday, March 11, 2024

...declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose[.]'

 Revelation 5

...declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose[.]' Isaiah 46:10

Today, I pause once again my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, which today describes what John Piper aptly refers to in the title of the devotional Two Infinitely Strong and Tender Truths.  The first truth is that God is in control of all the details of universe and all of its inhabitants.  Piper uses Isaiah 46:10, as well as Daniel 4:35, Job 23:13-14, and Psalm 115:3.  The other truth according to Piper is that "God’s great desire is to show mercy and kindness to those who trust him...[and that] God’s sovereignty means that this design for us cannot be frustrated. It cannot fail."  Piper refers us to Ephesians 2:7, Psalm 37:3-7, Proverbs 29:25, Romans 8:28, and Psalm 84:11.  As Piper concludes the devotion, he shares that these two truths are the "pillar of his life."

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God and I can rest and have confidence in how You are sovereign and provident over all things.  And You are faithful - all of Your promises have a yes in Jesus!  Thank You!  I am not deserving of such blessings.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.