Wednesday, March 13, 2024

For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.

2 Corinthians 1

For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. 2 Corinthians 1:20

Today, I pause once again my study of 1,2,3 John using the Christ-Centered Exposition commentary series volume for these books to use DesiringGod.com's Solid Joys daily devotional, where today, John Piper shares how "Paul links prayer with God's Yes" in 1 Corinthians 1:20.  Piper explains by looking at the Hebrew translation of amen as "a strong affirmation,", or "I agree," or "I affirm what was just said," or "this is true," or simply "an earnest Yes." Piper points us to Numbers 5:22, Nehemiah 5:13, and 8:6 for scriptural references that illustrate the use of amen.  Piper then urges us to reread the highlighted scripture in 2 Corinthians 1:20 to realize that "[i]n Jesus Christ God says his Yes to us through his promises; and in Christ we say our Yes to God through prayer." God is faithful to us as He says yes to all of His promises and we respond in prayer with agreement that God is worth all of the glory!  Piper paraphrases Paul's words as: "'Therefore, because of Christ, we say Amen to God in our prayers to show that God gets the glory for the future grace we are asking for and counting on when we pray.'"

Comment and discuss this post.

My Prayer: Lord Jesus, You are an awesome God who loves me and who is full of grace and compassion for me - demonstrating faithfulness as all of Your promises come true.  Thank You Jesus.  I am not deserving of such blessing.  My sin is great and it continues...daily.  Please forgive me Jesus and help me overcome and turn from my sin towards You.  Help me love You with all of my heart, soul, and mind and love others as You love me.  Help me grow in my faith.  Give Lisa and myself wisdom and strength.  Please heal Lisa of her cancer and from the side effects of chemo.  Help us lead Zach and Dustin to You Jesus and for them to choose You as their Lord and Savior.  Please provide Godly friends and spouses to Zach and Dustin.  Help me serve You, my family, my church, and others.  Help me understand, be obedient to, and apply Your message for me today and every day.